Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Laughing

As incredible as Kathy's last post is. I have some news that she forgot to add.

Dolly laughed today! She really laughed! Twice!

The first time it was when Kathy was giving me the overview on how well she passed her swallow test. It was the applesauce again that caused the smile, I turned to her and said "you're smiling!!" She kept smiling and I was smiling, and Kathy was smiling. My smile morphed into laughter by such wonderful glee I was feeling. I stared at her and laughed, and I kept saying "you're smiling, I can see you smiling" and she started laughing, too!

The second time she was being re-positioned by the nurse on one side with Kathy on the other. I stood at the foot of the bed and just took in the sights. The nurse was telling Kathy which part of the many under sheets to pull (what...are we new here?) and my mother raised her left hand to help, I think she was trying to grab the right side handrail like when she wants to turn to her side. She almost got a grip on the nurses nose. I saw her realize what it was that she was reaching for, and when it clicked, she opened her eyes wide and I think I saw a giggle in her eyes. I started laughing, then she was laughing again. I think I laughed so hard and made such a ruckus that the whole wing must have thought we won the lottery.

I am noticing little things that Dolly is starting to wonder about. Tonight she asked me if I was tired. I was taken aback for a second, because it is always us asking her things, I decided to tell her the truth, and she finally sent me on my way (about 8pm tonight). I believe that she is slowly starting to leave her 'inner reality' and join the rest of us. She was concerned about other things too, before sending me home. She said "poor dog (she still has trouble remembering Rusty's name, but she knows he is a Boxer) he has been home alone all day" I said "do you mean Rusty?" and she said "yes". I'm sure she was remembering the conversations from Sunday when Rusty spent the afternoon with his friends while I was away. How happy he was to play and be with people (and Raven of course), she remembered all that, and she felt bad for him. This is not to say that she isn't still in fantasy land. She was trying to change the channel on the tv today by closing one eye and bringing her left hand in her field of vision, positioning it at the controls on the tv and changing the channel. I kept telling her that she couldn't change it that way, she needs to use the control by her side, and she kept saying that she changed it like that before. I can't wait for her to get back to Spaulding, she can't either!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! I sit in tears grinning. You guys are an awesome family. I'm sending all my love and prayers.
    Massive Hugs
    XOXO! Lizzy aka Cheeky

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. My heart and prayers are with you guys. God Bless Dolly and her sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Liz...I think you bruised my ribs! Hugs and kisses to you!

    Geo, we really appreciate your prayers, thank you so much!

    It finally feels like Dolly is on the mend. Let's all hope that there are no more complications and setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are amazing and are such the eloquent writers. I feel like I am right there. Three cheers for Dolly! And. . . maybe she learned to change the TV channels from watching Bewitched!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys are facing this challenge with strength, humor and a whole lot of love...i applaud you both and send good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, Dolly is a fighter - she'll pull through this, laughing all the way :)

    ReplyDelete