Saturday, June 13, 2009

Laughter is the best medicine

Nick and I went to visit Mom yesterday after work. I've been a couple times this week but it never feels like I'm there enough. I make a point to talk to her like I used to; telling her about what's going on with the shop, talking about the dogs (hers and ours), asking her questions in a "non-test" sort of way: "did you already plant your basil?". She's doing pretty well. But there are 'things' that seem confusing.
She laughed out loud two times last night! I can only imagine it's like watching your child develop. It's delightfully interesting, although I wish it weren't under these circumstances.

Today Mom had her first visitors (other than family, although I would consider them family). It was really nice. I found myself investigating their faces to see if they felt uncomfortable, if I sensed a thought from them on how different they felt she was. They were as attentive to me as they were to Mom. Just an interesting observation. 

Mom laughed out loud again today. It's so sweet to see. We watched cooking shows and I hunted down a cup of custard for her, twice. 

Her right arm was very cold all day. I massaged it and the nurse checked her pulse twice on that side reporting that everything seemed okay. He gave her more blankets.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Julie.
    I was equally as disturbed by her right side coldness. I'm glad that it is warm now. It is warm now.

    ReplyDelete